St. Francis of Assisi – School Blog

Learning and growing together in God's love.

Year 6 Lake District Blog by KM

on November 13, 2017

Last Tuesday, my group (the Scotts) put on their waterproofs, wellies and packed their bags getting ready to climb a Gorge-waterfall. Despite the fact that I was cold, I really didn’t mind because I was really excited to climb the gorge.  The minibus dropped us off along with our instructors – Rich , Alex and Andy.  Relieved that we had got there, we stopped and had a snack – a packet of crisps and some clovers which turned out to be edible. Once we had finished eating, we put on our harnesses- and safety helmets.

Determined to get to the top, we started climbing, but the only problem was that we didn’t help each other, so Rich brought us down and taught us how to spot (which is when you support someone from the back).  He also taught us how to use the ‘Roman Handshake’, which is when two people hold each other’s wrists, just in-case one loses grip and then the other is still holding on.

Focused on the task ahead, we started helping each other to get up the gorge.  When we got a steep part, the instructors helped us up. We started helping everybody with ‘Roman Handshakes’ and ‘Spotting’. We even got to a part of the gorge where we had to put our heads under some water. We climbed and climbed and climbed until we got to a bit when the water became deep. We obviously had to get water in our wellies.

Next, we climbed until we got a steep bit of the waterfall, two of the instructors climbed up and threw down a rope so that when we climbed up we wouldn’t fall and hurt ourselves. My partner (Eva) and I went up last but it was fun very fun.

After a while, we reached a part where the water was moving much quicker than usual. We had to goo around it, and there was a cave!!! It was beautiful. To me it looked like a bunch of luminous crystals lighting up the cave. It took us half of the day. It was the best day ever!!!