St. Francis of Assisi – School Blog

Learning and growing together in God's love.

Staying at school blog! (Ethan)

on November 26, 2017

While the rest of Year 6 was at the Lake District, I, along with other people including Janine, Mia, Nimisha and other people, had to stay at school to learn but also to have fun!  The exciting activity I liked was called Sewing because I was able to use an old manual sewing machine. Although I had to use it manually, it was quite a fun and joyful experience.   I also liked it because it was for a charity, in Africa, where we had to sew dresses for those small African children who barely have any clothes.

First, we were put into pairs (mine being Janine and me) and we chose an adult.   Most adults but one had an electric sewing machine and we decided to work with the one lady with the manual sewing machine.   Next, the adult collected a flower-patterned piece of fabric with pins. It was extremely easy as we were able to work together amazingly in spite of my finger constantly getting pricked by pins!

After an hour, which passed by swiftly , the adult finally let us use the 100 year old sewing machine. I felt very old using it but it was ok. The lady put he fabric on the machine and instructed me to pull the handle anti-clockwise.  As I did it, the small, sharp needle bounced up and down into the fabric.

Later, after Janine had a turn, we cut the arm holes out.   We were selected each to put a suitable-sized piece of paper on the place where the arm was going to be.  We carefully cut out the holes for each side and sewed through the top of the dress to add the stretchable material in.  (I didn’t know what it was.)   The adult cut open the top of it, added the  material and stitched them back together.

Finally, we chose the pockets for the dress.  We got fabric and gave it to her to use for pockets.   Sadly, the lesson finished before we could finish.  That’s all for today! See you in the next blog!